Wednesday, June 05, 2002

 

Inna Blogga Da Vida



Something struck me as highly familiar about the whole blogging bit. I'd been following the trend for the past year or so -- Andrew Sullivan first brought the whole phenomenon into my attention -- but I'd been remiss to join in on the fun myself, until today. About an hour ago, I realized why this was all so damn familiar -- I did this in high school. Looking at my previous "Comments" on my long-dead High School homepage, I can say with some measured sense of pride that I was something of a blogging pioneer.

At least, that was my idea at the time. Funny how life gets in the way. At any rate, the first entry (Internet Freedom) was actually referenced by someone in what appears to be a term paper. Found it on Google after doing a search on my name. Do yourself a favor -- if you have a non-generic name that won't pull 1,000 Google hits, search for yourself at least once a year. It's often quite an interesting read.

Doing the search just a moment ago, it's nice to see that Google does place the real me all on the first page. I suppose that's the great advantage of being a part of a large quizbowl community that does most organizational work online. The whole world can see my pathetic points per game.

A slightly more interesting thing happens on page 2, though, where I learn that there is apparently some person with my name who happens to be an advertising executive. The fact that there's another Eric Steinhauser is unsurprising. The fact that there's another American Eric Steinhauser is. As a matter of fact, there seems to be at least one more who played high school basketball in New Jersey last year. At least one German, but likely many more if the more Germanic "Erik" were used instead of the Latin "Eric".

Random musings. I guess it really is a Blog-Eruption.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?