Thursday, September 12, 2002

 

Sports Rundown



  • Issue One: Pennant Races-- Despite one hell of a season from June onward, a poor April and May have doomed the Astros to the outside-looking-in stance for this year's playoffs. They still have seven games to play against the Cards, so anything is possible, but I fear that a 6.5 game deficit is just too much to make up at this point, especially with the Cards being hot as they are. The AL West is still as crazy as ever, though Seattle is fading quickly due to the monster years from Anaheim and Oakland. Give Oakland the division title by one game, with Anaheim taking the WC. In the NL West, SF and LA continue to battle it out for the WC. Both pitching staffs are fairly consistent, but SF has a huge advantage in the hitting game. I'll take SF by two games over LA.

  • Issue Two: MLB Playoffs-- Commercials promoting the Cardinals as already being in the playoffs when there's still a chance they can be overtaken notwithstanding, I'm going to go ahead and make my predictions.

    Divisional Round: Angels over Yankees, A's over Twins, Braves over Giants, and Diamondbacks over Cardinals
    LCS: A's over Angels, Diamondbacks over Braves
    World Series: Diamondbacks over A's in 6, with Johnson and Schilling again splitting MVP honors.

  • Issue Three: Texans-- How 'bout them Texans! How 'bout that weak offense! Despite dominating the Cowboys defensively, an anemic running game and generally conservative passing attack means the Texans are ranked 32nd in total offense. Carr continues to impress, particularly on the long passing routes. He did not seem fazed by anything the Dallas D could throw at him. Houston's D is solid. Not quite rock-solid, but solid, nonetheless. Prediction against the Chargers: San Diego 20 -- Houston 13.

  • Issue Four: NFL at large-- Michael Vick is even more of a beast than when I saw him play at VaTech. Just having ESPN highlights to watch of the GB-ATL game makes me pine for Sunday Ticket. Favre vs. Vick was the most exciting game of the week, and that's where the future of the QB position lies -- the excitement the two of them bring to each and every game. They just make plays.

  • Issue Five: MNF-- Madden was surprisingly at ease with Michaels. It sounded very natural and I really enjoyed watching the first half. The second half, well, I turned it off for reasons other than the commentary. Memo to Bill Cowher: Try to get byes for the NFL's opening week. You stink then! Furthermore, if there were any doubt as to whether or not the Pats are the real deal, that's long gone now. The biggest surprise of the night, though, was Brady's effective use of the spread offense. Has it finally migrated to the NFL? With an accurate, mobile quarterback and speedy wideouts, I don't know how you can really stop it other than zone-blitzing up the gut. Problem is, you open yourself up for huge gains that way.

  • Issue Six: Walt Harris the Moron-- Memo to Pitt Coach Walt Harris: The "Swinging Gate" formation STUPID, DUMB, AND TOTALLY USELESS!!!!!!!!!!!! And I mean STOOPID with a capital "OO." Thank you for taking then not taking personal responsibility for the loss because you and your special teams coordinator didn't know the rulebook, and then singlehandedly costing us a potentially huge victory against aTm. And why, oh why, did you not kick the field goal once when it was 4th and short on the 25? Gibboney and Abdul can both hit that in their sleep. Take the points. Points win games. Three points would have one that one. Please refrain from such stupidity agains UAB this weekend. Thank You. UGH!

    Heads Not On Sticks


  • Rod Rutherford: "Hey. I showed what I'm made of in the 2nd half. Sure, I had a lousy start, but so did everyone else. Coach Harris had a lousy start and finish. I know the offense, can make plays, and I have what you need in a QB ... except for some competitive fire at times. The students' booing pissed me off, but I feasted on it. Did you see my slash-throat gesture? They'll be cheering us in a bowl game come December."
  • Eric Crouch: "Why did the Rams ever pick me in the first place? I'm a running quarterback, not a receiver. I can't make the transition. I couldn't make the transition. To running back, maybe, but not wideout. Do I look like Hines Ward? I'm a rail, and I got 'injured' over the offseason. Thanks for the signing bonus, though, Coach Martz. Call me if you want tickets in Lincoln."
  • Bison Dele: "PIRATES!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • Janet Reno: "No recount, no peace. No recount ... think Waco, Ruby Ridge, and Elian ..."




  • Comments: Post a Comment



    << Home

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?